WInnForum Top Ten Innovations
In 2010, The Wireless Innovation Forum initiated an ongoing project to identify major innovations that would be required to create the foundation of the next generation of wireless devices. These innovations, either technical, business or regulatory, if realized, would address various shortcomings in existing wireless communications from the point of view of the different stakeholders in the wireless industry value-chain, including users, radio or platform manufacturers, software and hardware component providers, operators and service providers, spectrum regulators. These innovations don’t necessarily need to result in patents or intellectual property, but they would serve to help the community in addressing emerging wireless communications requirements through improved performance of deliverables, reduced total life cost of ownership and the responsive and rapid deployment of standardized families of products, technologies, and services.
To create this innovation roadmap, the Forum’s Roadmap Committee sought participation from the different stakeholders to identify perceived or real shortcomings in the wireless domain and or to propose innovations that could potentially address these shortcomings. From the input received, the Forum’s Roadmap Committee selected the following as the revised “Top 10 Innovations” that have the most potential of improving the wireless communications experience.
Click on any innovation below to include your product as a Top Ten Contributor, add a technology to our "Watch List" (see below) or just join in the ongoing conversation:
- Innovation #1: Techniques for Efficient Software Porting Between Heterogeneous Platforms and Generic Development Tools for Heterogeneous Processors
- Innovation #2: Certification Process for Third Party Waveform Software
- Innovation #3: Receiver Performance Specifications
- Innovation #4: Low Cost Wide Spectral Range RF Front-End (Multi-octave Contiguous) (Tx,Rx)
- Innovation #5: Techniques to Minimize Power Amplifier Spectral Regrowth in Non-contiguous Spectral Environment
- Innovation #6: Increase Communications Time on Battery Charge by an Order of Magnitude
- Innovation #7: Context Aware Cognitive Radio
- Innovation #8: Interference Mitigation Techniques
- Innovation #9: Standardized Computer Interpretable Policy Language for Cognitive Radio
- Innovation #10: Flexible Regulatory Framework for Temporary, Cooperative and Opportunistic Access
To add a technical, business or regulatory innovation to our watch list, click here.
In support of the Forum’s Strategic Plan, the Roadmap Committee will maintain this list, adding or subtracting innovations as required to serve the overall needs of the advanced wireless community. The intention of the Forum is to promote this list across the advanced wireless community, and to support research and development activities addressing the targeted innovations both within the Forum membership and in partner organizations.
Click on an innovation above to be taken to a page where you can list your product as a Top Ten Contributor. Just click on "Add Comment" at the end of the "Overview" article for the innovation in which you are interested.